Executive and Pre-Employment Background Checks and Board Member Vetting
Executives and managers are routinely found to have falsified resumes or credentials, sometimes in connection with financial or other malfeasance. When this occurs, attention inevitably is drawn to the hiring process and the shortcomings of the vetting work performed.
IGI regularly conducts executive and pre-employment background checks and board member vetting domestically and internationally for corporations, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms, universities, nonprofit organizations, and executive search firms, to help these clients mitigate risk in prospective hirings and appointments.
Our background checks are scalable in scope and budget to be proportionate to perceived risk factors and the complexity of the candidate’s background, and are compliant with applicable privacy regulations. We carefully and methodically search the available public record, check and verify a candidate’s claimed credentials, and flag any misrepresentations, material omissions, or discrepancies. When appropriate, and with the client’s authorization, we conduct discreet reputational interviews that go beyond merely checking a subject’s references. In more in-depth background checks, we delve into details of the candidate’s professional performance and track record, including any crises or controversies on his or her watch at previous employers.
IGI’s Background Check and Executive Vetting services include:
- Executive Background Checks
IGI thoroughly investigates, not only an executive’s past performance, track record, and public persona, but also any potential controversies or conflicts to which the individual could be linked. IGI explores personal associations and professional background, including financial history and legal disputes or lawsuits involving the individual or the organizations with which they have been associated.
- Pre-Employment Background Checks
Vetting mid-level managers and employees in positions of trust is equally essential to maintaining corporate integrity and reputation. IGI’s background checks seek to uncover any potential inaccuracies or conflicts with an applicant’s profile as presented in the interview process.
- Prospective Board Member Vetting
With responsibility for an organization’s strategy and future growth, board members must carry a strong reputation and demonstrate success in advisory roles. When vetting prospective board members, IGI explores both organizational successes and concerning situations encountered during the individual’s tenure in previous corporate leadership roles and board positions.
- On behalf of an Ivy League university, IGI has conducted numerous executive background investigations of candidates for senior level positions, including president, provost, dean and athletic director of the university. The scope of our investigations typically includes extensive public records and commercial database research. With the client’s authorization, we also submit FOIA and open records requests and conduct discreet interviews.
- For a private equity investor in energy technology companies, we conduct due diligence on major portfolio additions and their executives. Our investigations are integrated into their purchase investigation process, with the knowledge and authorization of the subjects.
- For a private equity investor and its outside counsel, IGI investigated alleged abuse of authority and financial improprieties by the CEO of a portfolio company. The investigation results were crucial in the investor’s negotiation of the termination of the CEO’s employment agreement and ownership interest in the portfolio company.
- IGI was retained by a California-based investment firm with offices worldwide to investigate the bona fides and business reputation of the owners of manufacturing facilities in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. IGI conducted on-site investigations in all three countries in question and developed a profile of the subjects and their affiliations with other persons and entities in the region.
- On behalf of an early stage investor in technology-based companies, IGI conducted due diligence on an executive from the financial industry. IGI investigated the executive’s personal and professional backgrounds, including his reputation and financial history as well as disputes and lawsuits in which he was involved. We also collected and analyzed data and information related to transactions in which the executive and his prior employers were involved in order to help assess the level of potential financial and reputational risk to our investor-client.
- A prominent New York financial institution retained IGI to investigate the background and reputation of their potential customer, a prominent family in the business community of a Latin American country, with a focus on the sources of the family’s assets including the possible influence of a former government official thought to be related to the family. IGI’s investigation, including in-country inquiries, determined that the government official in question was not related to the client’s potential customers, and further research and inquiries helped the institution more confidently assess the reputational risk of their new customer relationship.
- On behalf of a venture capital fund, IGI conducted due diligence on an executive who claimed a successful investment strategy for capturing large returns. IGI investigators uncovered and developed information related to the individual’s history of incurring losses after deviating from the investment strategy, as well as specific prior instances of deceit and possible fraud in recruiting potential investors and in his own biography.
- For a prominent fund manager, IGI conducts due diligence investigations and provides information to support their risk and return calculations. Subjects of the investigations include prospective special-situation investments, as well as companies in which the fund was considering private equity and mezzanine-level investments.